Friday, September 11, 2009

Gratitude: 9-11-01 Lessons?-What I'm thankful for on Thursday, September 11th of 2009

It's been over 8 years since that tragic event in our country. What have we learned? It depends on each individual depending on their previous and current circumstances when the 9-11 tragedy happened. For me, here are some excerpts from my reflection I shared 7 months after...

Where were you during the September 11th attacks?

Many people have, is, and will be reflecting on this "infamous" day. As I (Sal) write this on Monday, March 6th 2002 (6 months since the attacks) watching "9/11 Remembered" (in New York City) telecast special on televsion, I still remembered how the 9/11/01 developed=>

I was getting off from work (Ravenwood Home-group home for disabled handicapped adults) after my early 6-9am shift. I had to get some groceries at the local Willies in Morris, MN. As I was walking around, I notice immediately the thick air of tension and sadness. When I got up to the cash registrar, I did my usual "Minnesota Friendly" greeting, "Good Morning", and the lady at the cash registrar said, "Oh, it's not really a good morning". I then look up to her with a confusion, and she told me "oh, you haven't heard...a plane crashed into the World Trade Center in N.Y." (paraphrasing). I immediately turned my radio in my blazer to MPR (Minnesota Public Radio) and heard the sad news. I arrived home around 9:15am and my roommate-Juan told me the news. I asked, "How did you know?". He told me Dan Specht (former roommate that lives now in Fargo, ND) called after he got up earlier because God told him to get on his knees and pray. Juan said, "I wasn't sure what to pray for, so I started to pray". In my heart and mind, I thought it was God intervening at this moment. Juan and I continued to listen to the live reports going on in the East coast of the U.S. (plane crashed in the World Trade Center, another crashed into the Pentagon, and a couple other crashes later on that morning). I couldn't stand hearing it on radio, which I wanted to see it with my own eyes on television. I then went over to my neighbors (3 apartment same level house) and asked if they got their television on. They told me they don't have t.v.,which I briefly shared the sad news to them. I went back to my house and ask Juan if he wanted to go with me to the Student Center T.V. Lounge to watch the live broadcast of all these events. We watched the events unfold at the UMM Campus: Student Center T.V. Lounge (basement) with many others (faculty, staff, students) as everybody's eyes were glued to the t.v. set with silence, despair, and pesimistic anticipation on what else might happen.....

I had to work at the group home in town (3-10p), which I wasn't really up to working. However, it feels good to be with folks that I can call "family" as I've been working there about 2 years now during these times. The staff was a little down too, but we had to pick ourselves up and focus on our work. We talked together before the consumers/residents of the group home arrived. One of the consumers kept on mentioning "plane crash", which was obvious they knew what was currently going on. To focus on our work, we decided to shut the televsion off and really got together closely spending quality time.

I went home and talked more about the todays events with my roommates. I would later found out that over hundred people from the campus/community came for a prayer vigil at the Campus Mall that evening....

Final thoughts: It's really sad that events like these have to happen to get families or communities come together. I really value the relationships (family, friends, acquaintances from work/school/ etc...) I have now because you do not know when they will be taken away from your life like a "blink of an eye".

It’s been over 8+ years, have we learned? What have you learned?




more about "I Believe - A 9/11 Tribute", posted with vodpod

more..
http://events.goodnewsusa.info/9-11-01.html

Q: What lessons did you learn from this tragedy? What are you doing now?

No comments: